Friday, November 14, 2014

Grocery Shopping on $60 a Week for a Family of 4

I thought I'd start this first real blog post with what I am dealing with today. Being Friday, (the day after Hubby gets paid) that means looking through the menu planner (made up for at least 3 weeks worth of meals) and going to the pantry to see what I will need for this weeks menu.

I need to tell you that to get a 3 week menu (3 meals and dessert) you need to have a decent pantry that is already well stocked. It has taken some time but I have managed to get a pretty good pantry built up by using coupons and shopping only the weekly store sales. If its not on sale, I won't get it.

I use the coupons and match them up with the weekly sales to get items usually up to 50% off the regular price. It takes time but by using my time wisely, I am able to save money when grocery shopping and get great deals for now and also for later use.

(This *way* of thinking different didn't happen over night but through a series of BAD financial decisions that were made over the years. But that's another post all together. )

So here is what I will NEED to have to complete my weekly menu:

onion -$1
orange juice-1 gallon (Using a Coupon found here - http://www.coupons.com/) @ Harris Teeter
mushrooms- 1 lb.- Harris Teeters every day low price of $2.50 a lb.
mozzarella cheese (3 lbs.) $1.30 per 8 oz. @ Harris Teeter when you buy 2 and get 3 free.
soft taco shells (20 ct.)
tomato- $1

All of this will cost about $17. I have everything else needed. So I spend $17 out of $60 and now have $43 to *stock up* on the other things that are on sale and I will need later on. So by doing this I won't pay full price on future items so long as I stay ahead of the game and plan ahead accordingly.

Here's what we will be eating this week-

Breakfast are homemade biscuits or toast or eggs
Lunches are sandwiches and chips.

Dinner

Friday- Burgers and Ranch Fries
Saturday-Homemade Pizza & Salad
Sunday- Rerun of Saturday
Monday- Homemade Dutch Potato & Bacon Soup and Homemade Cheddar Cornbread
Tuesday- rerun of Monday
Wednesday- Pork Chops, Baked Taters and Corn from the summer garden
Thursday- Pancakes & Bacon

I need to get a good sale on sweet onions but I don't use but about 2 a month if that, so buying a large bag is not feasible. If I do come across a good deal, I will go ahead and purchase it and store accordingly.

There are quite a few good sales going on now for Thanksgiving Dinners. I'll post what I know about tomorrow and try to link you up to a coupon if available.

Well, got to go. Thanks for stopping by and have a blessed day!

Amanda <><

Proverbs 19:14- House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD.






No comments:

Post a Comment